[m-dev.] for review: add `--debug' grade

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed May 20 16:44:59 AEST 1998

On 20-May-1998, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > Zoltan, can you please review this one?
>
> > +To try this out, compile your program with @samp{--debug},
> > +run @samp{mdb @var{program}}, and then type @samp{?}
> > +at the @samp{mdb} prompt.
>
> At the moment, the ? command lists all the breakpoints. The help command is h.

OK, I'll fix that.  Thanks.

> I also just added a new debugger command to print the stack trace, so
> execution tracing now requires stack tracing.

I want to be able to use the debugger even on code that was not
compiled in a .debug grade (e.g. I will just recompile the one module
I'm interested in with `--trace all').  So I'm not happy with that
restriction.  I would much rather it if you remove the restriction.
You can do that by just having that command be conditionally available:

	#ifdef MR_STACK_TRACE
		... code to do stack trace ...
	#else
		fprintf(stderr,
			"Sorry, stack traces not available in this grade\n");
	#endif