[m-dev.] Tabling [1/3]

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 13 07:55:04 AEDT 1998

On 12-Mar-1998, Oliver Hutchison <ohutch at students.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>
> > Can you remind me what the difficulty in implementing full SLG
> > resolution is?  i.e. what would be required to implement
> > `pragma well_founded_model'?
> >

> I suspect if I tried to expain it we would both get confused again :-) If
> you have a look at pages 80-82 in ~ohutch/thesis.ps you will understand
> or you will see how easy it is and tell me!

Yep.  The difficult is
(1) We need to somehow detect cycles through negation;
    it's difficult to see how to do this without adding overhead
    to every negation, including ones that don't use tabling at all
(2) It requires delaying individual calls, not just whole disjuncts;
    this is difficult in a strongly-moded language.