[m-dev.] Tabling methods

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 13 16:33:03 AEDT 1998

On 13-Mar-1998, Oliver Hutchison <ohutch at students.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
> Ok so you want :
>
> 	`loop_check'
> 	`memo_loop_check'
> 	`memo'
> 	`minimal'

Modulo spelling, yes.

I would spell the second one `memo_and_loop_check'
and the fourth `minimal_model'.

Actually, come to think of it, it would probably be better to make
`memo' imply loop checking by default; that is, to spell
the second one `memo' and the third `memo_without_loop_check'.
We don't want to encourage people to use the
slightly-more-efficient-but-less-safe method by default,
and that is what they will do if it is fewer characters to type.
The default should be slightly-less-efficient-but-safe, and the
slightly-more-efficient-but-less-safe method should be used
only if you're really trying to squeeze out that last drop of
performance.