for review: stack dumps.

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 6 10:56:10 AEDT 1998

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Tyson Dowd wrote:

> Here's a comparison.
> I have trouble believing the figures myself.
>
> Size:
> without stack traces:
> -rwx------   1 trd      mercury  5046272 Mar  4 19:38 mercury_compile*
> with stack traces:
> -rwx------   1 trd      mercury  17367040 Mar  5 11:17 mercury_compile*

Um, with a factor of 3 size increase, I'd argue this shouldn't be the
default :-).

It'd be interesting to know how much of that is in predicate/function/module
name strings (and whatever other strings you include).  Maybe it would be
worth having a separate option to leave the strings out altogether.  You
could even put all the strings in a separate file, and open and read that
file to find the strings if you want to do a stack dump.

I don't suppose you could just use the strings in the symbol table (build in
a demangler)?  That way the user can choose between being able to get
backtraces or having a smaller executable by choosing whether or not to
strip the executable.

-Peter Schachte			| ADA, n.: Something you need only know the
pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU		| name of to be an Expert in Computing. Useful
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/	| in sentences like, "We had better develop an
PGP key available on request	| ADA awareness."