[m-dev.] For review: Add implementation of reference types (global heap)

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jun 10 17:50:45 AEST 1998

> Thus, I conclude that the current interface is still too low-level
> and implementation-specific, and thus should not be documented in its
> current form.  In the long term, we should provide a less
> implementation-specific interface that provides the same functionality,

How about making these functions macros instead, which include all the
monkey business one must get up to in order to work with the heap.  I think
the basic interface is pretty high level, it's only the irritating transient
register stuff that's ugly.

Would the current code work if we just told users that these functions
constitute calls to Mercury, and so any C code that calls them that is to be
called from Mercury must be declared as may_call_mercury?

-Peter Schachte               | We hang the petty thieves and appoint the
mailto:pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU       | great ones to public office.
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/ |     -- Aesop
PGP: finger pets at 128.250.37.3 |