[m-dev.] For review: Add implementation of reference types (global heap)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jun 10 17:11:10 AEST 1998

On 10-Jun-1998, David Glen JEFFERY <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> Personally, I'm not convinced that we should allow polymorphic equivalence
> types with monomorphic definitions at all. I don't think that the "equivalence"
> makes sense.

Sure it does.

If I write

	:- type foo(T) == bar.

then this means that for all types T, the types `foo(T)' and `bar'
are equivalent, which in turn means that

	for all types T,
		for all expressions X,
			well_typed(X, foo(T)) <=> well_typed(X, bar)

where `well_typed(Expr, Type)' means that X is a well-typed expression
with type `Type'.