[m-dev.] proposed command set for the internal trace based debugger

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jun 2 16:59:21 AEST 1998

> > I'm not sure I understand the difference between break and spy points.
>
> My intent in suggesting the distinction was that a break point
> would stop at only one port, whereas a spy point would stop at
> all ports.

The distinction might make a lot of sense internally, but from the user's
point of view I think it would be simpler to think of them as the same
thing.  Ideally, I'd like a concept of "spy point" (call it what you like)
that includes the following:

	1.  it applies to a specific part of a specific predicate (though
	    the part will often be the whole definition).
	2.  it applies to a set of ports (though the set will often be all
	    of them).
	3.  it specifies a precondition for that spypoint applying at all
	    (though the precondition will usually be true).
	4.  it specifies an action to take when the spypoint applies (though
	    usually this will be to do nothing).
	5.  it specifies printing the goal or not.
	6.  it specifies stopping for user interaction or not.

I expect that 3 and 4 may be too hard to implement at first.  It may also
make sense to combine 4, 5, and 6 into a single what-to-do-when-you-get-
here command.  It could also make sense to combine 2 and 3.

-Peter Schachte               | Capitalism is the astounding belief that the
mailto:pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU       | most wickedest of men will do the most
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/ | wickedest of things for the greatest good of
PGP: finger pets at 128.250.37.3 | everyone. -- John Maynard Keynes