[m-dev.] For review: convert port into strings before sending it to the debugger process.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Jul 18 12:24:02 AEST 1998

Erwan Jahier, you wrote:

> Me again.
>
> I made this conversion in order to keep the same name for ports display
> as in the internal debugger. I could have made that conversion in the
> debugger process, but I find it simpler to do it here.

Hmm... I think it is cleaner to send it over as what is logically speaking
an enumeration rather than a string.

> An other
> advantage of doing this conversion here is that, if one day you decide
> to change the naming convention for ports display in the internal
> debugger, you would be able to change it here too ;-).

But that might well break the external debugger.
If we send across the strings, the external debugger might well be
relying on the exact spelling of those strings.

So I'm inclined to say do the conversion in the external debugger.

--
Fergus Henderson              | Designing grand concepts is fun;
fjh at cs.mu.oz.au               | finding nitty little bugs is just work.