[m-dev.] Mercury Meetings.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jul 13 22:45:32 AEST 1998

On 13-Jul-1998, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> The concept of a regular Mercury meeting has been discussed on this
> list and in real-life, and has met with general approval.
> The idea is to have a relatively informal meeting, and a chance for
> a social gathering too.
> So here is a plan for having them:
>
> How about a meeting around 5pm on a Tuesday, followed by dinner
> (say pizza or something) for those who are interested.
> The meeting itself shouldn't go for more than an hour or so.
> We will try once per fortnight at first.
>
> How does this plan sound?

It all sounds great, IMHO.  How about we start next Tuesday (July 14th)?

Have we decided on a venue for the meetings?

> We will have a scheduled "speaker" to who is expected to present
> some aspect of their work, or an interesting topic related to the field
> in general for around 5-20 minutes.  This is not expected to be a big
> deal (e.g. slides are definitely optional) -- but gives us a sure-fire
> topic to discuss, and lets us know how people are going.

Any volunteers for the role of speaker co-ordinator?  DJ?
We need someone to be responsible for choosing a speaker each fortnight,
and for sending mail to mercury-developers to remind us all ;-)

Here's some suggestions for speakers to get us started:

	accurate garbage collection -- Tyson
	parallelism -- Tom
	existential types -- myself and/or DJ