[m-dev.] Re: Erwan's problems (was: new debugger command set)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 9 01:14:16 AEST 1998

On 08-Jul-1998, Warwick HARVEY <warwick at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> He's probably having the same problems I had when this change was made.  I
> can't remember exactly what I did to get around it, but I think it involved
> manually installing the interface files for the new version of the library
> so they were used by the old compiler when compiling the new one.
>
> >version of the compiler.  This can happen if we add a new feature
> >and then add code that depends on the new feature.
>
> This was not the case in this instance; it was a single change that broke
> the compiler.

If a single change breaks the compiler, then the nightly tests will
fail, and so we will know about it very soon and will either fix the
problem or back out (i.e. undo) the change.

The piece of information that you and Erwin were both missing is just
that you need to do the `mmake install' from the stage 2 directory
rather than the toplevel directory, if you are building from source
files obtained directory from the CVS repository instead of building
from one of our source distribution tar files.