[m-dev.] for review: fix for running tests in the term subdirectory

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Jan 1 16:27:09 AEDT 1998

On 01-Jan-1998, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:

> > > Fergus, please review this.
> > >
> > > tests/Mmake.common:
> > > 	Add a new action for removing .trans_opt files.
> > >
> > > tests/term/Mmakefile:
> > > 	Make "mmake clean" depend on the target that removes .trans_opt files.
> >
> > Hmm, wouldn't it be better to put this in scripts/Mmake.rules
> > and/or the *.dep files (which are created by compiler/modules.m),
> > and/or change the tests/term/runtests file to do
> > `mmake realclean' rather than `mmake clean'?
>
> I thought we decided to keep .trans_opt files for developers only until
> we implemented a mechanism that ensures that we do not use out-of-date
> information from them.

Fair enough.

> > > 	Fix the "mmake depend" rule and the make variables on which it depends.
> >
> > Can you please explain the fix?  What was wrong with them?
>
> They didn't work (didn't create the .dep files), because the "depend" target
> did nothing.

Actually that was an optimization -- the .dep files aren't actually needed
currently, because there aren't any multi-module programs in this directory,
and because it is only creating the .transopt files.
So an alternative would be to just document the optimization.

> The substitutions in the make variable definitions lacked the %
> signs.

The % signs aren't needed.