[m-dev.] Regular meetings.

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Apr 17 15:02:42 AEST 1998

On 17-Apr-1998, David Glen JEFFERY <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > With the growth of the mercury group (I can count at least ten people
> > siting within 7m of my desk),  I think that it would be a good idea to
> > schedule a meeting every couple of weeks and for one person in the group
> > to summarise their recent work and future directions that they might
> > take it in.
> >
> > This would mean that everyone would present only once every 6 months (when
> > you factor in directed study students, summer students and visitors).
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I think this is an excellent idea. Mark and I have discussed this once, but
> I don't know how the rest of the group feels. My feeling is that it would be
> great for several reasons:
> 	- We would all have some idea what everyone is doing
> 	- It would encourage us all to think a little more about the research
> 	  side of what we do (as opposed to implementation).
> 	- It would be a good forum for fostering new ideas (although I guess
> 	  that our current work environment already achieves this to a fair
> 	  extent).
> 	- We could all make fun of Pete on a regular basis.
>
> The downside is, of course, that its an extra commitment for everyone. IMHO it
> would be time well spent.
>
> I think that for it to work, it would need to be fairly low key (eg. you
> wouldn't be expected to prepare slides).

I also agree that this is a good idea.  I am having trouble keeping up
with what everyone is working on, and sometimes getting consensus for
issues is quite difficult over mercury-developers.

I am hoping it can accomodate both a scheduled person speaking at each
meeting, and a group discussion of general issues and questions.

--
       Tyson Dowd           # There isn't any reason why Linux can't be
                            # implemented as an enterprise computing solution.