[m-dev.] for review: big ints

Mark Anthony BROWN dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Apr 4 15:48:44 AEST 1998

> Gday peoples,
>
> Could someone please review this addition to the library.
>
> Thanks,
> Bert

Sure, but I've only taken a brief look so far.  First comment:

The data is not stored in a canonical form (eg i(1, []) represents
the same thing as i(0, [])), and while this is not a problem per se,
it makes it easy to introduce errors in the implementation.

Notably,

    integer:'>'(abs(integer(0)), integer(0))

succeeds.

>From an implementation view, what data are admissible?  big_cmp/2, for
example, seems to think that i(1, []) is not, but abs/1 thinks it is.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mark Brown  (dougl at cs.mu.oz.au)             |  Any technology that is
MEngSc student,                             |  distinguishable from magic