[m-dev.] Remove CVS access to repository.

David Glen JEFFERY dgj at cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Sep 25 18:29:38 AEST 1997

> We've got a few groups who are going to need access to the CVS archive
> in the near future, so I've written this quick guide to how to use CVS
> in client server mode.
>
> The servers are up and running, so if you'd like to test-drive this
> documentation, feel free, and let me know how it goes. We'll probably
> need to add entries to hosts.allow for any outside sites we want to
> allow access to.
>
> Any comments?

It may be worth mentioning the approximate size of the modules. If people are
going to be accessing this from the other side of the world, they should
probably know what they're in for.

Also, I feel that our review procedures may need a work-over too. At the moment,
some code still sneaks in to the repository without review (or at least without
any recorded approval). With the inherent difficulty in communication that
arises with developers at another site, things probably need to be a little
tighter in order that we don't go off track.

Here are two (somewhat overlapping) solutions:

	* If you're at Melbourne, continue as normal. If you're elsewhere,
	  then approval for a commit from someone at Melbourne must appear on
	  mercury-developers before you go ahead

	* No commit is to go into the repository without some (reasonably)
	  formal level of approval (that even means you, Fergus :) ). Perhaps
	  we can have a list of people who can approve diffs (or who can
	  approve other people to approve diffs...). The commitlog template
	  could have a field added to indicate who has approved the diff.

	  (This is a better solution, IMHO. It may involve a little more work,
	  but as the group gets bigger, it is a price we probably have to pay.
	  We have got away with a reasonably informal process for some time
	  because we are a small group who work in reasonably close
	  communication.)

While we are on the subject, are there any other process issues we need to look
at?

love and cuddles,
dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au)     |  Kids, you tried your best and
MEngSc student,                     |  you failed miserably. The lesson