[m-dev.] mdemangle

Tyson Richard DOWD trd at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Tue Sep 9 16:32:32 AEST 1997

Thomas Charles CONWAY wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have on my plate at the moment to fix a bug in mdemangle. Mdemangle
> represents a double maintanence problem, in as much as the profiler
> also does demangling of names. Why not write mdemangle in Mercury,
> and share the code?

An extra benefit could be had if the code was shared between
	- mdemangle
	- mercury_compile
	- mercury_profile

Getting it into the compiler would be a little more difficult, but
could well be worth the effort.

> (Tyson has observed that startup-time may be an issue for builds with
> no link errors. In fact, he suggested using a Perl script to fire up
> mdemangle only in the event that it is needed. He aparently knows Perl,
> I don't, so maybe he can write the script when it gets to that stage.)

Given Perl's syntax, it's actually difficult to write something that
isn't valid perl. But deciding what a script is going to do before you
write it ... there's the trick.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #          Another great idea from the
                            #            people who brought you