[m-dev.] cvs diff: EXTRA_* flags

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Mar 17 19:14:09 AEDT 1997

Tyson Richard DOWD, you wrote:

> Okay, here we go again. Fergus, is this what you intended?

Yes.  The changes to the code are exactly what I intended.
But the documentation should be improved.

The variables you are documenting are `Mmake' variables,
not just environment variables; they can be set on
the command line, not just in the environment.
Also, you should document the non-`EXTRA_' versions.
They should be documented at the end of the `Using Mmake'
section.  (Originally, they _were_ documented there;
Zoltan removed that documentation -- I don't know why.)

You should document that Mmake files should use
set the non-`EXTRA_' versions, and should include the
`EXTRA_' versions at the end, e.g.

	MCFLAGS = -O6 $(EXTRA_MCFLAGS)

(Either that, or all the rules should be changed
to pass both $(FOOFLAGS) and $(EXTRA_FOOFLAGS).)