[m-dev.] faster higher order call

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Tue Jun 24 15:52:41 AEST 1997

Peter Schachte, you wrote:
> Here's the suggestion: change order of arguments for all calls, so that
> the last input argument goes in r1, the second last in r2, etc.  Then
> call/N could be implemented [more efficiently].

In general, I like it.

However, I suspect that earlier arguments are probably used more often
than later arguments; for example, code tends to switch on the first
argument, not the last.  (This style helps readability.)
Thus, I am a bit worried that reversing the order of argument passing might
have a significantly detrimental impact on efficiency.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see.