[m-dev.] cvs diff: install_webpage

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Feb 17 23:31:13 AEDT 1997

Tyson Richard DOWD, you wrote:

> Bert, since we were discussing this earlier today, can you review
> this (small) change?

> Estimated hours taken: 0.2
>
> Fix a permissions problem with installing new webpages.
>
> tools/install_webpage:
> 	Remove the checked out modules before beginning, and
> 	chmod them after checkout, so that all pages are readable
> 	by all. Then, when installed, the copies will also be
> 	world readable. This is important so that new files get
> 	created with the correct permissions, regardless of the
> 	permissions they have in the CVS archive.

Why do you need to remove them before beginning?

That could cause problems if someone happens to be reading them
at the time they're being reinstalled, or if the installation
fails mid-way through for whatever reason.

I know that if you don't own the files, you won't be able to
chmod them, but I think you can assume that they had the
right permissions in the first place.