[m-dev.] diff: Sicstus barfs on quotes

David Matthew OVERTON dmo at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Wed Feb 12 16:46:40 AEDT 1997

David Glen JEFFERY wrote:

> Hi Fergus,
>
> I've just commited a fix to fact_table.m which was making Sicstus barf
> because \" and not "" was being used. ok?

Sorry.  That was my fault.  I haven't done much Prolog programming and
have never used SICStus so I didn't know about the problem.

Perhaps the compiler/notes/CODING_STANDARD could mention something
explicit about this and any other compatibility problems.  Here's what
it says at the moment:

	Use of language features

	Language features that do not work in SICStus Prolog
	(including functions, reverse modes of arithmentic,
	the NU-Prolog syntax for negation and if-then-else,
	and code requiring mode reordering) should not be used
	in the Mercury compiler --- at least not until we
	have implemented a proper debugger.

Perhaps the list in parentheses could be expanded a bit.  I would
certainly find it helpful and I'm sure there are others who would too.

David