[m-dev.] bytecode stuff in cvs repository

Bert Thompson aet at cs.mu.oz.au
Tue Apr 1 16:24:43 AEST 1997

|> |Hi Bert,
|> |
|> |I notice that you checked in a bunch of code into a directory
|> |`mercury/bytecode' in the CVS repository.

|> Andrew reviewed the code.
|>

|You might not have known that there is a review procedure in
|mercury/compiler/notes/REVIEWS.

Nuh, I didn't.

|The review procedure exists to do more than just make sure someone
|reviews a change. If there are problems with this procedure, I'd rather
|discuss them than just ignore it.
|
|Perhaps the review procedure should be added into the developers web
|page.

Good idea. There are two philosophies on educating new Mercury
developers:
	1) Have a document detailing what a new developer should know.
	2) Impugn the intelligence of any new developer who makes
	   a faux pas.

On consideration, 1) is more practical, but 2) is more fun. 8^)

Seriously, it's not a bad idea to come up with such a document.
A simple piece of HTML pointing to already-extant docs would do.
I will do this if no-one else wants to. If anyone objects, let me know.

|(This is not the only case recently - there have been a couple of
|quick-fix changes lately that haven't included _what_ was changed,
|just that it was a type/mistake/etc. If you aren't going to have them
|reviewed, at least add enough information so that people don't have to
|go searching to see what you've changed).

I made a couple such changes. In each case a
would reveal a blindingly obvious error.

Anyway, point taken. Despite the errors being apparent, a more
detailed log message would be wise.

Bert