[m-dev.] Tdiff: termination analysis (BIG!)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat Apr 12 00:40:59 AEST 1997

Christopher Rodd SPEIRS, you wrote:

> Add termination analysis to the compiler.  The termination analysis annotates
> each procinfo structure with termination information stating whether each
> procedure is guaranteed to terminate.
> Add intermodule transient optimization to the compiler.  Transient
> optimization information is stored in .trans_opt files.  They are different
> to .opt files as .trans_opt files can depend on other .trans_opt files.

s/transient/transitive/g
(here and in other places too)

> compiler/make_hlds.m:
> 	Added code to add the terminates, check_termination and
> 	opt_terminates pragmas to the HLDS.

What is `opt_terminates' short for?

Would `termination_info' be a better name for this pragma?

> compiler/term_error.m:
> 	This module contains code for printing out the error messages that
> 	are created by termination analysis.

Can you please rename that as `term_errors.m', for consistency
with `mode_errors.m'?

> compiler/term_pass1.m:
> 	The first pass of the analysis.  This pass associates a number with
> 	each procedure.  This number represents the relative sizes of input
> 	and output variables.

Hmm... I don't quite see how a single number can represent the relative
sizes of several different input and output variables.  Maybe I'm missing
something...

Well, that's the log message reviewed.  Stay tuned for the review of the
actual changes...