News<->mail gateway.

Tyson Richard DOWD trd at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Fri Apr 11 14:48:02 AEST 1997

Presently the gateway only goes from mail->news. The sysadmins are
working on the news->mail gateway, but this probably won't be active for
a while yet. Also, there are some problems with the mail->news postings
due to the way news is configured.

The present system has the following problems:

	1. Posts to cs.mercury are not sent to the mailing list.
	   They are therefore not archived, and since this was one
	   of the main aims of the mailing list, please try to send
	   mail to mercury-developers at cs.mu.oz.au rather than posting.

	   I think that if you reply (r) instead of follow-up (f),
	   replies will be sent to the mailing list, then posted
	   back to the newsgroup automatically. But this will only
	   work if you reply to something that came from the mailing
	   list, replying to a post won't work (unless you add a Cc:
	   line by hand).

	2. Mailing list replies will not be successfully posted if they
	   don't meet the usual requirements of news - in particular,
	   you need more lines of new text than lines of quoted text.
	   (About 1 in 10 replies succumb to this fate).

	3. Replies don't thread properly in news. I think this could
	   be fixed, but I'm not sure how at the moment.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #             Sign on refrigerator: